The Hardest Word

So I think Daniel is pranking us.

He's got a pretty good command of the language right now, including some of the subtleties you might expect, growing up in a house with me.  One that caught me by surprise, though, was the way he plays out a line expecting a specific response in order to kick off a routine.

Specifically, this is the (incorrect, from his point of view) exchange:
Daniel: I love you, Dad! 
Me: Aw, thank you buddy, I love you.
Why is this the incorrect response from me?  Because this is what he wants to start:
Daniel: I love you, Dad! 
Me: I love you too! 
Daniel: I love you three!
I know the routine now and I almost always am aware enough to actually follow the pattern he wants on the first try.  He most often wants to do it when I'm dropping him off at daycare in the morning, and if I indulge him, he usually won't tire until we hit "I love you thirty-eight" or "fourty" or so.

So, this is certainly adorable, but why do I think there's something more subtle at play here?  Because he also frequently has to apologise to someone for something.  Most often James.  The consequences of him not apologising are pretty steep, too.  A two minute time out, escalating to five minutes if necessary.

Lately, though, when things have gone bad like this he's been coming back to us, usually crying, saying:  I need to say my sorry!

It's both heartbreaking and hilarious but on some level I can't help thinking he's making fun at us for saying "your" when we mean "you're".  But maybe that's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Miss Monster Sookie

Robocallers